2 a small quantity of something moist or soft; "a dab of paint"; "a splatter of mud" [syn: splash, splatter]
- Rhymes with: -æb
Etymology 1From dabbe < possibly imitative.
- To press lightly with a soft object without rubbing; to apply a
substance in this way.
- I dabbed my face with a towel.
- A soft tap or blow; a blow or peck from a bird's beak; an aimed blow; dial. a box, a slap.
- A small amount, a blob of some soft or wet substance.
small amount, blob
- Greek: μικροποσότητα (mikroposotita)
- One skilful or proficient, an expert, an adept.
one skilful or proficient, an expert, an adept
- Greek: μάστορας (mastoras)
Etymology 3Origin unknown.
flatfish of the family Pleuronectidae
- Greek: λιμάνδη η κοινή (limandi i kini)
- Oxford English Dictionary (1989)
Dab may refer to:
- Common dab, a kind of flatfish
- Dabbing in Motorcycling, To touch the ground with feet or hands while bicycling or motorcycling
- Dab (beer), a German lager
- Dąb Coat of Arms, a Polish coat of arms
- Dąb, a town in Poland
- Dab, Afghanistan
- Dabs.com, a retailer in the UK
- In the sport of Bouldering, an inadvertent grazing of a pad or spotter that renders an ascent invalid
- Dab (cat), a character in the Deptford Histories
DAB is a three-letter initialism which may refer to:
- Dave & Buster's, a chain of restaurants in the United States
- Dansk Almennyttigt Boligselskab a Danish non-profit housing association
- Dansk Automat Brancheforening, the Danish branch of EUROMAT
- Daytona Beach International Airport (IATA airport code: DAB) in Florida, United States
- Defense Acquisition Board, a group that reviews proposed purchases by the United States Department of Defense
- Democratic Alliance for the Betterment of Hong Kong, a political party in the Hong Kong Special Administrative
- DAB pumps,electric water pumps maufacturer based in Italy and belonging to Grundfos Danish Group
- Digital Audio Broadcasting, a form of radio transmission
- Dortmunder Actien Brauerei, producers of Dab lager
- One of the following chemical compounds:
dab in Danish: DAB
dab in German: DAB
dab in French: DAB
dab in Italian: DAB
dab in Dutch: DAB
dab in Japanese: DAB (曖昧さ回避)
ace, adept, apply paint, atom, authority, beak, bedaub, bedizen, begild, besmear, bit, bloodstain, blot, blotch, blur, brand, brush, brush on paint, bunt, butter, calcimine, chuck, coat, color, complexion, cover, dabster, dash, daub, deep-dye, dip, distemper, dole, dollop, dot, double-dye, drag, dram, dress, dribble, driblet, drop, dub, dwarf, dye, emblazon, enamel, engild, equalize, even, eyesore, face, farthing, fast-dye, fillip, flatten, fleck, flick, flip, flirt, flyspeck, fragment, fresco, gild, glaze, gloss, gobbet, grade, grain, granule, graze, grease, groat, hair, handful, harrow, hint, hue, illuminate, imbue, ingrain, iota, japan, jot, lacquer, lay, lay on, lay on color, level, little, little bit, lubricate, macula, maculation, macule, mark, master, minim, minimum, minutiae, mite, modicum, molecule, mote, mow, nutshell, oil, ounce, paint, parget, particle, pat, patch, pebble, peck, pick, pigment, pinch, pittance, plane, planish, plaster, point, poke, prime, professional, proficient, rap, scruple, shade, shadow, shave, shellac, slap on, slather, slop on paint, smarm, smear, smear on, smidgen, smidgin, smirch, smitch, smooth, smooth down, smooth out, smouch, smudge, smut, smutch, snap, spatter, speck, speckle, splash, splatter, splotch, spoonful, spot, spread on, spread with, stain, stigma, stipple, suggestion, taint, tamp, tap, tar, tarnish, thimbleful, tickle, tinct, tincture, tinge, tint, tiny bit, tip, tittle, tone, touch, trace, trifling amount, trivia, undercoat, varnish, wash, whisk, whit, whitewash, whiz, wizard